The biggest thing I’ve done for the past weeks is creating a new website. I encourage you to read my last article, “Our new website, with dark mode!" to see what’s changed.
Website building performance
hugo --templateMetrics --templateMetricsHints, I managed to go from ≈14s build time to ≈10s.
4 seconds is not much, but the real thing is that now build time is quite linear, while it was polynomial before.
What I mean by that is that every new page generated
partials – page components.
Most of those partials were the same on each page (e.g. the footer), or in each section of the website (e.g. the header).
By using Hugo’s cached partials, I was able to reuse partials if they were the same, instead of generating it again. This change saves a few seconds now, but will have a great impact when the website will grow.
Pages loading speed
|https://monkiprojects.com/||93/100 on mobile, 98/100 on desktop||93/100 on mobile, 98/100 on desktop|
|https://monkiprojects.com/blog/our-new-website-with-dark-mode/||76/100 on mobile, 93/100 on desktop||90/100 on mobile, 98/100 on desktop|
See https://web.dev/performance-scoring/ for metrics scores calculation.
Pain points (fixed or not)
Images not properly sized
Serve images that are appropriately-sized to save cellular data and improve load time.
For our latest blog post, with a lot of images, Google estimated time saving at ≈180s!
Deliver images in next gen formats
Image formats like JPEG 2000, JPEG XR, and WebP often provide better compression than PNG or JPEG, which means faster downloads and less data consumption.
For our latest blog post, with a lot of images, Google estimated time saving at ≈30s!
Cumulative Layout Shift
Cumulative Layout Shift measures the movement of visible elements within the viewport.
Our pages have a high Cumulative Layout Shift (CLS). I didn’t try to improve it for now, but I’ll do it someday.